Finance Associate - Fall 2023
Accounting & Finance
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
AltaML is a leading North American applied AI company with extensive experience in building and operationalizing AI solutions. We call our business model Invent and Scale, from industry agnostic to industry focused, which encompasses focus and domain expertise combined with an ability to understand workflows and how to get to generalizability with data. AltaML has multiple functional disciplines and joint ventures.
We are a company like no other – we believe in making small bets, failing fast, and being better together. We are looking for creative problem-solvers who obsess about the customer to find wins across different industries.
We don’t hire for fit; we hire to add. We are looking for people who play our core values of being: Agile, Gritty Humble, and Happy. If you’re passionate about AI/ML, thrive in a dynamic environment, and want to work with a diverse team of wickedly smart people, we want to hear from you!
As a Finance Associate you are an integral part of the finance team, reporting to the Accounting Supervisor. You will use your accounting knowledge to provide financial assistance and oversight to existing and future entities from accounts processing, reconciliation and assisting with periodic reporting. You are someone with great attention to detail and an inquisitive mind who can learn things fast and work with minimum supervision.
Note: This is a fall internship opportunity for current students (September - December). This is a Mitacs funded opportunity and is only open to those that fall under the academic requirements at respective institutions.
What You'll Do:
- Daily bookkeeping and assist with financial reporting (monthly) in Quickbooks and/ or Netsuite
- Complete and document numerous bank recs and credit card recs on a monthly basis
- Ensuring accounting policies are documented and consistent between parent and ventures.
- Support Income tax and GST reporting if assigned.
- Support as required for full cycle payroll and perform tasks assigned by the payroll manager.
- Assist with ad hoc Financial Analysis and Financial Modelling as required.
- Use your excellent verbal and written communication skills to provide regular updates to the Accounting Supervisor, as required.
- Support with statutory audit, SOC2, business resumption and address internal control weaknesses as required.
What You Bring:
- Nice to have some training in Accounting or Finance including demonstrated knowledge of ASPE/IFRS, requirements, and practices.
- Ongoing or completed accounting degree or diploma (or equivalent experience)
- Intermediate training in Microsoft Excel, able to create models, scenarios, forecasts, and dashboards.
- Technical expertise and knowledge of an accounting software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills. Ability to multi-task processing tasks, projects, and strategic improvement initiatives
- Attention to detail - financial accuracy is important, proactive, and demonstrates our core values including gritty and agile as we listen to the data and provide recommendations and corrective action.
First Nations Acknowledgment
As this role is an opportunity in Edmonton, Alberta - AltaML would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional lands, referred to as Treaty 6 Territory and that the City of Edmonton and all the people here are beneficiaries of this peace and friendship treaty. Treaty 6 encompasses the traditional territories of numerous western Canadian First Nations, including Cree, Dene (DEN–Ē), Stoney Nakota Sioux, Saulteaux (SO-TO), and Ojibwe (OJIB-WĒ). AltaML is dedicated to ensuring that the spirit of Treaty 6 is honoured and respected.
AltaML is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
We Look for A-Players Who:
- Express our core values
- Are hungry for knowledge
- Want to learn new skills
- Are respectful
- Collaborate with others across the whole company
- Share knowledge with coworkers
- Educate and promote AI and ML concepts both internally and externally
- Have a high work ethic and are self-motivated
🌴Uncapped Vacation - For all full time, permanent employees. Seriously, take the time you need - when you need it.
🚀Make an Impact - Witness the impact your work contribution has on the success of our company.
👩🏿💻Working with PhD and Master Level Colleagues - Endless conversations around the latest in Machine Learning and Applied AI.
🩺Competitive Benefits - For all full time, permanent employees.
🏢 Office as a Resource - Hybrid work environment with state-of-the-art office spaces that ignite collaboration.
⚡Big Slack Energy - IYKYK.
You will be working in a high-paced environment focused on creating unique ML solutions to problems across multiple industries to generate impactful value. You will be working at a company with employees who have multiple years of industrial and academic experience in data science, software engineering, product development, and machine learning fields.
You will be able to experience a collaborative company culture, which means we believe in working hard, getting the job done, and enjoying the group social on Fridays. You’ll also get flexibility in where you work, what hours you work, how much vacation you take, and what you wear. We expect hard work but respect work/life balance.
At AltaML, we are driven by our core values. We believe that by embodying these values in everything we do, we will exceed our customer’s expectations while creating a positive and empowering work environment for our team members. We are dedicated to living our values and strive to make them the foundation for our success.
We are entrepreneurial, determined, and resilient, pushing through challenges to achieve our goals.
We make decisions based on “little bets” creating a safe space to take risks. We embrace an interactive process, allowing ideas to fail quickly or be scaled iteratively. Together, we continuously refine and improve our approach to reach the desired outcome.
We listen to data, embrace new ideas, admit limitations and take ownership to solve problems. We constantly push ourselves to improve and excel.
We ignite passion and purpose by fostering a dynamic work environment. We encourage tap dancing to work, common sense over rules, empowering team members to find joy in their contributions, and being your authentic self.
See more open positions at AltaML
Something looks off?