Associate Machine Learning Developer (Cohort 5)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
About the The GovLab.ai
We transform the way you think about applied AI. Teams are structured around projects for the public sector, guided by the Project Delivery Manager, Product Owner, and Senior machine learning developers, to provide working models to support informed strategic decision-making around the use of key AI technologies in the public sector.
This would be a 4 month paid contract starting September 2023 and ending in December 2023. The deadline for submitting your application is May 31st, 2023. Assessments and interviews for this cohort group will be held in the month of June 2023, so please keep an eye out on your inbox for further information around that time frame.
Office as a Resource & Participating Universities: This opportunity is open for anyone that is currently enrolled at U of Alberta, U of Calgary(Only Masters student), U Waterloo, or U of Toronto. While we have offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto, we use our offices as a resource and are open to remote candidates.
As an Associate Machine Learning Developer, you will have a chance to work on public sector ML projects and deliver real solutions to our Public Sector Partners including Service Alberta, other departments, and even other levels of government. GovLab AI's mission is to set a global example of how to transform the public sector through applied AI, and is designed to encourage the growth of machine learning and AI skill sets that are in high demand across Alberta and around the world.
Our program experience is unique and designed to give you hands on experience to prepare you for professional success. During the 4 month period you will be placed on a team to work on specific use case(s) identified by our Public Sector Partners. You will work with multiple tools and gain experience in multiple AI/ML and data processing fields. You will also be given resources and mentorship to help with your growth and career advancement. The teams will be led by the Project Delivery Manager utilizing AltaML methodology to create working models for the viable use case(s), and help guide the teams to make recommendations on how best to implement the solution with our Partners.
Our ultimate goal is to set you up for success and have you hired in the future after your internship!
Step 1: Apply
Step 2: You will be notified during the first week of June if you are moving to the next stage (via email correspondence)
Step 3: Online technical assessment (48 hour timed assessment) which will be sent during the first week of June, 2023
Step 4: 30 minute panel interview during the second week of June
Step 5: Background checks and offer!
Step 6: Welcome to GovLab!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 31, 2023 at 12:00 pm MST
What You'll Do:
- Participate in team planning sessions and educational presentations
- Review the data to understand its overall scope and structure
- Identifying the right metric to measure the success of the model and project
- Work in teams to pre-process the data for analysis and model development
- Uncover trends, insights, and key features to help guide where ML solutions can be applied
- Develop models around the available data and suggested set of problems
- For viable use cases develop proof of concept working models
- Suggest and explore novel solutions to a problem and detailed recommendations for how to integrate the models in business
- Communicating and presenting your teams work to AltaML and Public Sector Partners
- Get familiarity with various data processing tools and exposure to AI/ML algorithms
- Independently researching and connecting with your cohort to gain domain knowledge and learn state-of-the-art techniques
- You will work with multiple tools and gain experience in multiple AI/ML and data processing fields. You will be given resources and mentorship to help with your growth and career advancement.
What You Bring:
- Minimum Requirements:
- Currently enrolled in a Post secondary degree program at U of Alberta, U of Calgary(Only Masters student), U Waterloo, or U of Toronto
- General knowledge of and experience developing in Python and data science libraries/packages such as pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib
- Understanding of Machine Learning and software development concepts
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week during the internship
- Nice to have:
- Exposure to version control/Git
- Experience with a cloud platform such as Azure, AWS or GCP
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Well-developed communication skills, with the ability to engage in client meetings and deliver professional presentations
First Nations Acknowledgment
As this role is an opportunity in Toronto, Ontario - AltaML acknowledges that we are on the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and the Wendat peoples and is now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. AltaML also acknowledges that Toronto is covered by Treaty 13 signed with the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Williams Treaties signed with multiple Mississaugas and Chippewa bands.
AltaML is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive environment. We encourage qualified applicants of all backgrounds including ethnicity, religion, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, family status, age, nationality, and education levels to apply. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process, please let us know.
See more open positions at AltaML
Something looks off?