Director, Strategic Planning & Execution
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
The Director, Strategic Planning & Execution supports and leads company-wide strategic efforts, including playing a pivotal role in building and executing on annual and long-term strategic plans. This position is crucial to the business’s ability to establish and execute its short, medium, and longterm plans in a highly innovative industry. The Director, Strategic Planning & Execution plays a key role in strategy formulation, collaborates with both internal and external stakeholders, and leads coordination of cross-functional development and execution of business wide operational strategies. Success in this role demands a strong strategic and analytical orientation coupled with exceptional leadership and communication skills and a highly developed collaborative nature
What you'll do:
- Strategy Insights: Drives efforts to bring together crucial pieces of information such as competitor performance, customer insights, operational performance, business plans, innovation, gap assessments and market insights from various internal and external sources to develop strategic options.
- Strategic Planning and Execution: From Planning to Execution, responsible for strategic planning through a decentralized team of leaders across a matrixed environment. This includes (i) spearheading and/or aligning the strategic vision across all fronts of the business (ii) maintaining oversight of departmental strategic plans and ensuring alignment with the overall corporate roadmap (iii) establishing reviews of key strategic priorities and translating them into actionable and quantitative plans. Alongside the Senior Leadership Team, and in coordinating with the Executive Leadership Team, ensures the strategic planning process is timely, focused, and impactful, and that planning, and execution is aligned across the entire enterprise. • Strategic Performance Management: Responsible for the management and development of the KPI infrastructure related to the Corporate Roadmap, and for analysis and reporting of performance against strategic objectives. This includes monitoring and coordinating with functional roadmaps. Develops and maintains regular reporting rhythms for the business’s leaders as well as facilitating crossfunctional performance reviews for this leadership.
- Strategic Risk Management: Tasked with (i) the development of strategic threat identification and evaluation processes as well as interfacing with the company’s Enterprise Risk Management function (ii) communicating risks to the strategic roadmap to key stakeholders and Company leadership and (iii) communicating mitigation plans.
- Strategy Coach: Plays the role of a strategy coach to all departmental leadership within the business, providing support in and collaboration in the formulation of individual department strategies – especially focusing on those strategies that are required components of the overall Corporate Roadmap and ensuring alignment between the Corporate Roadmap and departmental strategies.
- Analytics: Analyzes a wide variety of internal and external data to provide relevant, timely and meaningful insights to the business and key stakeholders.
- Collaboration: Plays a highly collaborative role and will routinely work with the business’s key stakeholders and leadership in developing and executing the Corporate Roadmap.
- Change Management: Develops comprehensive change management strategies that bridge between the Corporate Roadmap and the operational implementation, ensuring effective communication across all levels of the organization and ensuring changes and strategy are understood and accepted.
- People Management & Departmental Leadership:
- Responsible for building and leading a team that is sufficient to deliver, maintain and execute on a 1-year and long-term Strategic Planning Roadmap.
- Guide the team to set, track, and achieve goals aligned with companywide vision, goals, and initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, guidelines, and management principles.
- Ensure continuous team goal setting, career pathing and professional development, tracking competencies, employee team building and training, performance management, work prioritization, resource management and controlling expenses, and reinforces systems, policies, and procedures. Trains staff, maintains training records, ensures appropriate and continuous training. Proactive change and conflict management in support of Torc’s core values.
- Identify future growth plan to support organizational needs and partner with People Operations and Talent Acquisition to lead organizational development; includes recruiting, screening, interviewing, selection, hiring and onboarding processes.
- Recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions, or terminations. Manages any problems and concerns to closure.
- Accomplishes department objectives by supervising staff and organizing and monitoring work processes with the highest degree of quality and safety.
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Demonstrates competences and technical proficiencies typically acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or commensurate experience.
- Demonstrates competences and technical proficiencies typically acquired through a minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience in a corporate setting, with experience in a desirable combination of the following areas: project or portfolio management, commercial operations, data analytics, commercial strategy, engineering, product management or business development.
- Strong communicator, both verbally and in written form.
- Exceptionally good analytical skills, with an ability to translate raw information into actionable strategies and initiatives.
- Demonstrates strong executive presence, attention to detail, high-energy and a proactive nature, have a positive can-do attitude, be result and data-driven, have exceptional problem-solving skills, and work comfortably in a group/collaborative setting.
- Strong business acumen, ability to multitask and meet aggressive deadlines, and demonstrate an ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire, and motivate a team into consistent performance improvement. He/she must also be passionate about team building and form strong and lasting connections with others, and possess an ability to lead and motivate cross-functional, interdisciplinary teams, including collaborating, aligning with, and leading across teams that report to other functions.
- Proven ability to establish and implement strategies and manage complex cross-functional projects.
- Experience in the automotive or software industry.
- Proven track record building cross functional relationships.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.