Fleet Operations Manager
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
What you’ll do:
As Fleet Operations Manager, oversee fleet operations for safe testing of autonomous trucks at Torc Main in Blacksburg, VA. Develop and execute an operational testing plan and oversee daily activities consisting of training, auditing, and ultimate safe operations. Partner with the on-road testing team, CDL safety drivers of autonomous vehicles, and fleet maintenance teams. This leader provides operational and utilization reporting to business leadership.
- Work with logistics operations, fleet management, on-road testing to ensure safe and productive testing. Ensures maximum testing efficiency while maximizing time and resources and reducing risks and liability exposure.
- Collaborate with engineering to review and approve test plans to assure safe test operations. Responsible for fulfilling the established safety testing process and providing feedback to the test engineering teams.
- Define, communicate, and track key performance indicators for our teams.
- Ensure regulatory and DOT compliance.
- Partner with maintenance teams to understand base vehicle issues to mitigate potential downtime in the future.
- Support logistics to develop tools and methods that enable and empower safety and efficient compliant testing.
- Responsible for analyzing testing flow, test mileage, and testing inefficiencies for ways to improve.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and documentation is maintained, appropriately filed, and managed according to policies and procedures and records retention.
- Reviews daily weather forecast, road conditions and closures, traffic concerns and accidents, etc., that could cause a slow down or stoppage and ensures this information is provided to drivers and conductors to avoid potential dangers.
- Communicates in quick and proper formats to the director of operations, safety manager, fleet manager, and safety conductors.
- For accidents and incidents, assist in investigations and ensures appropriate documentation is communicated to leadership in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist in creating and maintaining guidelines and procedures to protect the confidentiality of all company, site, and program documentation and materials
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or related field of study preferred.
- Experience in engineering or logistics or transportation.
- Solid technical knowledge and ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks to optimize autonomous vehicles operations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Excellent skills in facilitating small and large groups and present on a wide variety of topics.
- Excellent skills in visual design for presentations, operating Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and utilizing audio/visual equipment for optimal delivery and facilitation of initiatives.
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong organizational skills to plan, develop, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with quickly changing business needs.
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential.
- Ability to maturely maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience in program management and operations of highly technical teams such as autonomous vehicles and trucking preferred.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.