Engineering Manager - Hardware Integration & Test
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
**NOTE** We are open to remote candidates within the U.S. Must be willing to travel onsite one week a month if Remote (company paid travel.)
What you’ll do:
As the Engineering Manager of Platform & Vehicle Commissioning, you are responsible for all people leadership activities for a team that hold a critical mission – ensuring the successful delivery of fully commissioned and usable hardware platforms, predominately our autonomous ready trucks. This role is instrumental in enabling stable testing across the organization by overseeing the commissioning process, implementing commissioning process automation, and providing ongoing support to maintain vehicle uptime. The manager plays a key role in addressing hardware and integration-related challenges, conducting rigorous testing, and validating the stability of the hardware platform.
Agile Vehicle Hardware Commissioning:
- Lead agile commissioning processes to adapt to the dynamic nature of our environment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align commissioning activities with, at times, rapid organizational changes.
Dynamic Process Automation:
- Develop and implement flexible and dynamic automated processes for efficient vehicle hardware commissioning.
- Continuously adapt automation procedures to align with the evolving needs of our fast-paced environment.
Adaptable Ongoing Support:
- Provide adaptable support to ensure maximum vehicle uptime.
- Proactively identify and address hardware and integration-related issues.
Verification and Validation:
- Conduct requirements-based testing of the hardware platform, excluding the application layer, to validate stability.
- Develop and execute testing strategies to ensure the reliability and functionality of commissioned hardware.
- Actively support in the updating of requirements and test cases as necessary to ensure proper engineering lifecycle management
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or engineering equivalent
- Minimum 4+ years' experience leading engineering teams
- Proven experience in agile complex systems integration, vehicle hardware commissioning and testing.
- Strong background in process automation and optimization.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate hardware and integration challenges in a dynamic setting.
- Familiarity with agile testing methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience managing and growing high performing teams
- Ability to lead and innovate amidst constant change.
- Familiarity or experience with Python, C++, and ROS
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.