Manager, Technical Product Management
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet The Team:
The TPM (Technical Product Management) manager oversees assigned TPMs to develop and deliver cohesive engineering backlogs and plans for their assigned teams and departments by having a Lean-Agile and Servant Leadership mind-set. They are responsible for all personnel management for their assigned TPMs. The TPM Manager collaborates with the TPM Director, Strategic TPMs, all levels of engineering leadership, and other stakeholders to ensure their team of TPMs is meeting the planning needs of the larger engineering organization. They possess strong communication skills that allow for transparent and visual progress towards team and department goals. They possess a strong sense of empathy. They exhibit a strong background in system, software, or product development processes for complex products and topics to ensure compliance with company and engineering policies and procedures. They exhibit Torc’s company values and motivate their team to do the same.
What You'll Do:
- Facilitate processes for the delivery of high quality and well aligned engineering team plans and backlogs for developing an autonomous driving system product.
- Oversees TPM team’s progress towards completion of required tasks, communicating regularly to all levels within the team, department, and organization.
- Enforce engineering and planning best practices for the team, improving quality, efficiency, and accuracy of the team’s work.
- Collaborates with other TPM and Engineering managers and teams as needed to meet goals, monitor team performance, and achieve objectives.
- Support TPM Group management in maintaining and reporting group budgets, initiatives, and procedures.
- Participates in team and department level events, meetings, and activities.
- Responsible to understand the technical domain of their team.
- Collaborates with Strategic TPMs, TPM group leadership, and other engineering leadership to achieve company objectives and goals.
- Responsible for meeting defined performance and process targets.
- Accountable and Responsible for career development and coaching of the team.
- Responsible to build a relationship with employees to understand career goals and implement a plan.
- Coach team members, providing ongoing feedback, tracking competencies, and leading them in their professional development.
- Identify and address missing or surplus team competencies.
- Accountable and Responsible for ensuring continuous performance feedback is delivered and compensation analysis in close collaboration with peer managers and People Operations.
- Responsible for employee engagement of not only their direct reports, but their entire organization.
- Accountable and responsible for developing their team members (people management).
- Accountable and responsible for performance management of their team.
- Responsible for identifying hiring needs and working with their manager to get them approved.
- Accountable and responsible for working with Talent Acquisition and supporting the hiring and onboarding process.
- Responsible for pay period timecard approval, performance planning and evaluations, corrective actions, conflict resolution, recruiting and onboarding, and ensuring compliance with company regulations and procedures.
- Model compliance to all company regulations and procedures. Ensure team complies with all company regulations and procedures.
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Responsive to others and able to effectively collaborate to meet established standards, compliance requirements, implementation, and service delivery schedules.
- Demonstrated functional knowledge of business area and demonstrates results of ongoing learning and professional development. Ability to effectively manage people and identify opportunities to develop staff experience and expertise.
- Strong facilitation, technical team coaching, systems thinking, and servant leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience managing and growing high performing teams.
- Comfortable in a fast-moving organization and able to quickly learn and adapt.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with agile development practices and coaching others in those best practices.
- Experience in managing teams working towards product delivery.
- Experience with safety critical systems.
- Experience in the autonomous vehicle industry.
- Experience with automotive or systems engineering.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.