Senior Counsel - Employment Law
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
Serve as Counsel or Senior Counsel to support the legal team and assist handling a wide range of legal matters for the company. Provide collaboration, leadership, legal counsel and advice to staff and management primarily on a wide range of business matters, which may include one or more areas of subject matter expertise, such as employment law or commercial transactions, but also supporting the team in a wide variety of other legal matters that could include areas such as litigation management, insurance, privacy, corporate governance, and compliance.
What you'll do:
- Draft, negotiate, review, and approve agreements and other transactional documents, which may include customer or vendor agreements, licensing agreements, services agreements, confidentiality agreements, severance agreements and various other documents requiring legal expertise and in compliance to federal and state laws and associated government guidelines
- Consult with other legal team members on legal issues of significance to the Company
- Participate in the design, development, and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures, and programs
- Provide quality, sound, ethical and prompt legal services
- Perform research and provide interpretations of rules, regulations, and policies
- Investigate legal issues, thoroughly document information and activities, and manage risks associated with the company’s business
- Provide counsel and support when necessary to any internal investigations, contract disputes, or other legal matters. Provide litigation support as needed
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Law degree from an accredited institution
- Membership and good standing in a state Bar; eligibility and willingness to be admitted in Virginia or other applicable bar under either a Corporate Counsel Certificate or waiver
- Counsel requires at least 2 years of experience in a law firm or in-house corporate legal department with strong substantive experience one or more relevant subjects. In-house corporate experience is strongly preferred.
- Senior Counsel requires at least 6 years of experience with demonstrated ability to lead significant transactions and other significant legal matters
- Significant contract experience required
- Experience advising management on legal, risks, and other issues
- Experience in leading multifaceted projects using strong organizational, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Leadership skills, including the ability to lead cross functional projects, articulate standards and expectations as outlined in the relevant policies and procedures, and ensure that these are applied consistently
- Highly analytical with strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to learn and effectively apply learnings withing an evolving industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build trust and strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.