Director of Product Management - Autonomy
About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the Team:
Serve as a subject matter expert for Product Management and share responsibility for defining and supporting the development of a Virtual Driver product that meets customer needs as effectively and efficiently as possible. Collaborate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to identify and define customer needs, understand expectations, business value, and support development of the Product Roadmap and Features required to meet these needs.
What you'll do:
- Develop a shared product vision and roadmap in close collaboration with engineering managers, domain experts in planning, perception, prediction, controls and hardware, senior leadership, and other stakeholders.
- Work with systems and engineering team to execute on the roadmap, unblock them when needed and re-prioritize as appropriate.
- Analyze on-road data and performance metrics to ensure we are always focusing on the highest impact issues, re-prioritizing as needed.
- Advocate for and develop new or more comprehensive metrics, as needed.
- Act as a liaison between the engineering team and relevant stakeholders. Gather user requirements, build product requirements, and communicate to engineering and other stakeholders.
- Develop or improve processes to ensure cross-functional alignment between teams and projects.
- Communicate roadmap and priorities clearly to a variety of stakeholders across the entire company.
- Collaborate with strategy, engineering, system design, program Management, marketing, and other relevant teams to ensure product vision, strategies, and roadmaps bring to market products that solve user needs and meet Torc’s business objectives.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to organize stakeholders, manage dependencies, communicate status, and execute as efficiently as possible. Create long-term and short-term product goals and completions, analysis and forecasts for management and teams.
- Responsible for product management aspect of Autonomy Software, Planning and Execution – active participant in PI Planning, help with prioritization of team efforts and responsible to ensure safety and quality implemented; responsible to ensure delivering value through the deployed product and leading with Lean-Agile mindset focus on small incremental deliveries to the system aligned to the roadmap and implementation plan.
- Responsible for Autonomy Software Product Definition, supports internal audits to track compliance; responsible to define milestones and guide the organization on their way
- Responsible for Autonomy Software Readiness – participate in Iteration Reviews, Iteration and Solution Demos to evaluate achieved efforts versus planned.
- Responsible for Autonomy Software Business Alignment – ensure solutions fit within the overall economic business goals established, ensure feature development aligns with business strategy and commitments.
- Supervise the team of product managers. Guide the team to set, track, and achieve goals aligned with companywide vision, goals, and initiatives.
- Provide up-to-date guidance and direction to employees to ensure compliance with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, guidelines, and management principles
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or software or related field of study
- 6+ years of progressive experience with autonomous vehicles, advanced driver assistance systems, etc.
- 2+ years of product management experience in technical program.
- Familiar with Agile principles with Scaled Agile experience preferred.
- Previous experience working with technical teams and leading others thru detailed processes and results driven strategies.
- Systems Thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience in defining and implementing processes as well as process roll out.
- Experience in the interface between engineers and legal.
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to build trust and strong working relationships, effectively create and proofread documents and reports, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Keen attention to detail to identify problems and processes that don’t comply with protocol.
- Critical/logical thinking to identify problems and provide solutions to ensure efficiency, safety, and quality.
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain competing demands simultaneously with frequent interruptions and in a fastpaced environment.
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism.
- Experience in product safety topics as well as technical compliance.
- Adept in intercultural competences and experienced with an international work environment.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.