Staff Developer, Applications
AlayaCare is revolutionizing the way home health care is delivered. Our leading cloud-based software allows our clients around the world to manage their employees, scheduling, billing, and enable better delivery of care. We are a fast-growing SaaS company with a team of 650+ team members across Canada, US, Australia, and Brazil. We aim to be the world leader in home health care software solutions. We pride ourselves on our open and transparent culture, our bias for action, and being committed to a workplace where we can be ourselves.
About the Role:
As a Staff Developer, you will be the most senior technologist on a product delivery team, providing strategic value for AlayaCare while driving technical design and upleveling your team. You will be responsible for defining the technical direction of the projects your team works on. Your main responsibilities will be to influence the team toward using best practices of software development such as TDD, SOLID principles, design patterns, broken window principle, scout rule...
About the Project:
Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) is an important requirement for AlayaCare's customers to receive reimbursement from state agencies for the home care services that they provide. Since states and insurance companies may have different EVV requirements, our system must send visit information in customized format and content for each insurance/state combination (over 100 now, growing to over 500 to serve all our customers). This EVV information could be sent over API calls; REST (most of the time), SOAP (yikes!) or frequently via SFTP file transfer. The file format is mandated by state agencies and is typically XML or JSON. One of the first initiatives that the successful candidate for this position is to architect our codebase to satisfy the continuous growth of this critical feature for our customers.
A day in the life:
- Provide technical leadership for your team, and improve your colleagues’ skills through code reviews, technical mentoring, role-modelling, coaching, and knowledge-sharing. About 50% of your time will be spent on those tasks!
- Design, code, test, and debug complex software with an elevated level of quality, sitting as a key member of a feature development team. This will count toward about 40% of your capacity.
- Hold accountabilities for all technical decisions in your team’s domain
- Lead technical innovation in component re-use, extensibility, maintainability and scalability.
- Monitor your applications in production, and proactively identify and fix issues clients are encountering.
- Contribute to defining and implementing the product-wide technical roadmap, championing technical cross-team initiatives and adoption of modern technologies that are aligned with industry trends.
- Participate in an on-call rotation (that respects your time) to support your team’s software.
- Identify gaps in product requirements and work with Product Owners to design features that meet client needs
- Plan, implement and execute end to end automated tests that validate superior quality results.
- Help team members understand core concepts and tools of their craft.
- While working across teams, anticipate problems, recognize barriers, and proactively raise concerns to management and to senior members of the technical organization
- Evaluate existing engineering processes and procedures in your domains, identifying areas that need optimization, and leading the optimization effort.
- Keep abreast of developments and innovation in your area of specialization.
- Contribute to all forms of quality (support tickets and playbooks, security, performance) among multiple teams or at the engineering level.
- Drive engineering level initiatives (ex: Initiative to drive down support tickets, POC to increase test execution velocity, leveraging AWS to accelerate development or reduce costs etc).
What you bring to the team:
- 6+ years professional software engineering experience
- Development experience with Python (ideally with Django or Flask) or any other back-end oriented languages such as Node.js, Java, Ruby, Go, Scala, Kotlin, etc.
- Ability to learn fast with examples to back this up
- Deep experience with SQL databases and building queries optimized for performance
- Experience using Git, CI/CD tools, Docker, SQL Alchemy, cloud computing platforms (AWS preferred)
- Awareness of contemporary industry trends in technology, performance, and software development tooling & practice
- Experience making difficult technical decisions in ambiguous situations
- Excellent analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills (in written and spoken English). targeting both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working with a distributed team (all in the same timezone).
- Pride in your work
- Bachelor's degree in software, engineering or a related field of specialization preferred.
What Makes AlayaCare a Great Place to Work:
- Our products have a positive impact on the lives of countless care workers and care recipients Equity in a well-funded, high-growth company
- You can work 100% remote, having a great work-life balance
- Competitive compensation in a growing, well-funded company
- Comprehensive group benefits program, effective on your first day
- Employee expense program for wellness and productivity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Career growth and development opportunities
- Benefit for you to improve your English level continuously
- An entrepreneurial culture of transparency, collaboration, and innovation
- We are recognized as Deloitte's Technology Fast 50TM program award for our rapid revenue growth, entrepreneurial spirit and bold innovation
If this sounds like the perfect job for you, apply today. As well as joining a great culture and a market-leading company, you will be part of a team making a positive difference in the post-acute care market. If this isn’t the job for you, you may know someone who is a perfect fit. Please feel free to share this opportunity.
If you want to explore AlayaCare further, please visit our website www.alayacare.com.
Better outcomes, better belonging
Our team members are unique—like our products and the customer groups that we service. AlayaCare employees bring different strengths, perspectives, and experiences to their roles and to our products that enable better care. We are committed to offering a people-centric culture where all employees belong and feel heard.
Having a pulse on our employee feedback is important to us as we aim to continuously evolve Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Accessibility within AlayaCare's policies, total rewards offerings, discussions, learning & development programs, and community partnerships. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration.
Something looks off?