IMPORTANT: Candidate must be located in and authorized to work in Canada.
TELUS Health Virtual Care (formerly Akira + EQ Care) is a rapidly growing division of TELUS Health. We develop and operate a next-generation telemedicine service that lets Canadians access primary healthcare through an app. With nearly 2 million members, we're reimagining the doctor-patient relationship, leveraging technology to make Canadian healthcare more accessible, compassionate, and patient-centered.
As our team of nearly 50 developers and designers scales up and our systems continue to grow in complexity, we're looking to bring on board an experienced engineering manager. The manager will take on the day-to-day management of one or more functional teams, enhance our development workflows, and work with the CTO and the rest of the management team in developing our long-term product and infrastructure strategy.
As a TELUS Health Virtual Care engineering manager, you will oversee the day-to-day development and operation of:
- Our backend systems (primarily written in Ruby and Node/Typescript) that enforce authorization, provide ML-assisted analytics, integrate with external services, and ensure secure and reliable storage of patient records.
- Our React-based web app used by our doctors and nurses to communicate with patients and deliver cutting edge medical care to Akira members
- Our Kotlin, Swift, and React-based mobile apps used by patients to access our services
You will be tasked with enhancing development workflows and providing the resources needed for our team to be productive, innovative, and feel fulfilled in their jobs. You will also lead our technical hiring process, compliance efforts, and technology budgeting.
You should be the kind of person who:
- Thinks deeply and critically about problems, tools, and processes.
- Is able to understand systems from a variety of perspectives — from the points of view of users, developers, purchasers, salespeople, business leaders, etc.
- Wants to help others succeed and feel fulfilled in their jobs.
- Is uncompromising on quality.
- Does whatever it takes to get things done.
You should have:
- 5 years experience building complex, web-based systems.
- 2 years experience managing engineering teams working on web-based or mobile apps.
- Ability to design, critique, and make decisions about complex, large-scale systems.
- Hands-on coding experience building high-quality applications in TypeScript, Ruby, Swift, or Kotlin.
- A desire to build things for the long-term, with the understanding that the care and attention you put into your work now will pay off later.
We think big. If you’re looking to work on something that matters, TELUS Health Virtual Care might just be the place for you.