Senior Financial Accountant
"Absorb is the unique type of organization that everyone should have the opportunity to experience at some point in their career. We’re a company focused on learning, and every day brings opportunities to learn new skills and take on new challenges. What truly makes Absorb special, though, is working alongside people who are committed to being right there with you as you learn and overcome these challenges."- Aaron, COO
Does the idea of using your problem-solving and critical thinking skills excite you? Are you an accounting professional with a knack for connecting the dots between accounting and how business units operate? If so, the Absorb team is looking for you! This Accountant role is not your run-of-the-mill accounting job – it's complex, full of projects and no day is ever the same.
You have a keen eye for details and can identify the smallest of errors. Your strong attention to detail partnered with your critical thinking will empower you to tackle a variety of accounting challenges. Working closely with stakeholders within our business units, you are service-minded and can easily explain complex accounting concepts in a way all audiences can easily grasp.
Did we mention the all-star accounting team that you will be working with? You will be on a team of highly skilled accountants eager to share their knowledge and provide you with the skills and tools to bolster your learning!
Sound interesting? Great, keep reading!
What You'll do
- Collaborate with financial reporting and revenue accounting team in a fast paced environment.
- Investigate client accounts, validate invoicing, validate manual adjustments (credit or debit memos).
- Complete monthly journal runs to record revenue and payment entries from the billing system to the accounting ERP system.
- Prepare month-end revenue journal entries, including but not limited to: prepaid users, accruals, bad debt, discount reallocation and deferred setup fees.
- Complete variance analysis to ensure completeness and accuracy of billing and revenue.
- Reconcile revenue-related balance sheet accounts such as deferred revenue, accounts receivable, sales tax reconciliation and income accounts.
- Reconcile revenue from contracts with revenue partners and record amounts payable to or receivable from those partners. Lead in driving automation of partner revenue.
- Assist in process documentation/improvements.
- Year-end audit support.
What You'll Bring:
- Post-Secondary education in Accounting or related field.
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Exceptional customer service skills and communication skills. Candidate needs to be able to understand and explain revenue adjustments and processes.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively operate in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively on complex projects.
- Experience with multicurrency and multi-entity accounting.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Additional Preferred Requirements
- Understanding of US GAAP ASC 606 / IFRS 15, revenue and deferred revenue accounting.
- Understanding of revenue accounting in a software-based (SaaS) company.
- NetSuite, Zuora, and Avalara experience would be an asset.
Technologies we use:
- AbsorbLMS, NetSuite, Zuora, and Avalara.
Are you ready to become an Absorber?
What we offer:
- Fully remote-first work with flexible work arrangements.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits including retirement savings programs, eligibility for two different bonus plans, generous time off, comprehensive medical and dental benefits based on your country of location.
- New Hire Equipment Allowance and monthly Flex Allowance to support your success.
- Endless opportunity for career growth and internal mobility.
- Employee driven DE&I programs.
- Games room, meditation & yoga space, state of the art workplace for Absorbers in our Calgary office.
Who are we?
Absorb Software is a remote-first company that provides online training solutions to leading organizations around the world. Absorb is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) engineered to inspire learning and fuel business productivity. Our online learning platform combines forward-thinking technology built to scale as our customer’s organizations grow. We empower learners to enrich their lives, workplaces and communities.
Our values are simple:
- We achieve exceptional results by genuinely caring about each other and the work we do.
- We’re united, and we grow through our commitment to elevating continual learning!
Absorb is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for all our people. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. In the event a current Absorb employee would like to apply for this role they will inform their supervisor prior to submitting their application. Successful candidates for this position will be subject to pre-employment background screening, including a criminal record check and must be able to show proof of legal eligibility to work in the country they have applied to without sponsorship.
Should you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Something looks off?