Senior Full Stack Developer
"Over my 4 years at Absorb, I have been able to grow into a full-stack developer by actively contributing to an exciting product while learning the latest technology. The best part about working at Absorb is that no matter the team, the people have been amazing and are always willing to help each other." - Paul, Developer, Calgary
Absorb is looking for a motivated and energetic individual to join our team in Calgary, or remotely in Canada, as a Senior Full-Stack Developer. The successful applicant will join a fun and challenging multi-disciplinary group focused on the development of our new single-page application LMS application built on C#, Entity-Framework, and React. This role will focus on solving customer issues by working on both new features and bugs as part of an Agile delivery team. A passion for solving difficult problems & customers' first attitude is a must.
You will be working on the Learner Experience team where you will build and maintain our SaaS web application which is used by millions of people around the world. You will focus on feature development that enhances learner efficiencies and engagement, improves the social learning capability initiatives for our users, and augment our performance and scalability in an agile environment. You will also help with product support by fixing both back and front-end bugs and assist with the identification and resolution of production issues.
You will bring a passion for technology, a desire to work as a part of an agile team, and will be eager to learn the best modern software development practices. Lastly, as a Senior Full-Stack Developer who will help guide, mentor, and develop junior team members so that they can continue to learn, achieve their goals and become integral members of this growing organization.
Check out what Colin Kirk, Team Lead, Development has to say about working at Absorb Software on the Product team:
- Work in an Agile (Scrum/Kanban) environment and be involved in all technical activities within the team such as estimation, sprint planning, software development life cycle activities, code reviews, research, and documentation.
- Participate in a cross-functional team tackling exciting new features, challenging bugs, and performance issues.
- Contribute as a full-stack developer, working closely with our back-end and front-end stacks.
- Ensure software deliverables align with the technical architecture, development standards, and quality practices.
- Assist in building and executing unit tests.
- Develop well documented, intent-revealing code.
- Assist in monitoring the team’s code in a live environment.
- Participate in a learning environment through collaboration, knowledge sharing, and leadership.
- Work within your agile team to gather production metrics and stakeholder feedback using them to iterate and grow your team’s projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering equivalent professional experience is required.
- Minimum 5 years of related industry experience
- Passion for improving the customer experience
- Familiarity of Agile (Scum/Kanban) practices and concepts
- Strong knowledge of C# (or Java and interest in learning C#), Web API, REST, Micro Services
- Strong Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) skills.
- Experience with Object Relational Mappers such as Entity Framework or Dapper
- Extensive experience with writing RESTful APIs and web development best practices.
- Must be able to write clean, well-factored code based on S.O.L.I.D. principles.
- Experience in writing, analyzing, and tuning well-performing TSQL queries.
- Experience with Test Driven Development is an asset.
- Self-motivated and driven to meet long-term goals.
- Ability to independently manage time to meet project deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with other team members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Can operate under tight deadlines.
- Understanding Object-Relational Mappers such as Entity Framework.
- General cloud-computing concepts (AWS).
- Experience with microservice architectures.
Technologies we use:
Absorb Software is a learning technology company based in Calgary, Alberta Canada, with offices in London, Dublin, Tampa, Boston, and Sydney.
Absorb offers both Absorb Infuse, the first Learning Experience Platform (LXP) to offer a true in-the-flow learning experience and our flagship product, Absorb LMS, an industry-leading and award-winning Learning Management System for businesses, higher education, government, and non-profit agencies around the world. Absorb is setting new standards in learning technology and support, fueling companies who believe that people are their greatest asset.
We exceed expectations across enterprises, industries, and continents, helping people learn at the speed of now and preparing companies for the future of work. How do we do it better? We pay attention to the details and go deep where it matters. Turning a culture of learning into a revenue engine for global titans the world over.
Care to join us?
Why work at Absorb Software?
- Work-life balance.
- Paid vacation.
- RRSP matching.
- Employer-paid benefits: health, dental, and vision.
- Professional development plans.
- Career progression/internal mobility opportunities.
- Inclusive work environment.
- Casual dress code.
- Volunteering opportunities.
- Company/team building events.
- Games room, meditation & yoga space, state-of-the-art workplace.
Additional requirements/information for candidates:
- This position is eligible for participation in Absorb’s bonus program as outlined in Absorb’s Bonus Program Policy.
- The successful candidate may be located in either Canada or Tampa, FL.
- In the event a current Absorb employee would like to apply for this role they will inform their supervisor prior to submitting their application.
- This position will be subject to pre-employment background screening, including a criminal record check.
- The successful candidate must be able to show proof of legal eligibility to work in Canada and/or the USA without sponsorship.
- Incomplete online applications will not be considered.
- Please note, this posting will close when a suitable candidate has been identified.
Absorb Software (Absorb) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for all our people. Absorb is committed to providing employees with an environment free of discrimination, bullying, and harassment. All employment decisions at Absorb are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. We will maintain our commitment to and support of equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, national/ethnic origin, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics or disability. Our commitment to equal employment opportunity extends to any other protected classes which may exist under applicable law.
We acknowledge and are mindful that our Calgary, Alberta operations are located on traditional territories of the Blackfoot Confederacy (Siksika Kainai), the TsuuT’ina, the Îyâxe Nakoda Nations, the Metis Nation (Region 3), and many diverse Inuit, Métis, and First Nations peoples who make their homes in the Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. We recognize their distinctive spiritual relations with the land that supports our home and our business. We are humbled that our office is built upon the generous land that sustained indigenous people for centuries.