Senior Research Scientist - Cell Culture and Biotherapeutic Production
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Scientist, with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to cell culture and the expression of antibodies or other biotherapeutics, to join our multidisciplinary team. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated and self-directed scientist, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antibody engineering, advanced mammalian cell systems, and molecular research supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership and mentorship in cell culture and the expression / upstream processing of antibodies and other biotherapeutics within a dynamic antibody discovery organization
- Leading the design, planning and execution of experiments to support the production of antibody molecules for developability assessment and lead selection
- Developing robust shake flask and bioreactor protocols for transient cell culture and antibody expression at multiple scales
- Working within a team to establish and manage operational workflows that enable robust antibody production at scale to support a large project portfolio
- Driving early manufacturability assessment studies for lead therapeutic candidate molecules
- Contributing to the development of high throughput and automated workflows for expression of antibodies and other biotherapeutic formats to drive high throughput screening efforts
- Working cross-functionally with CMC Cell Line Development and Upstream Process Development functions to develop innovative and integrated antibody production processes
- Coordinating project execution activities with upstream molecular biology and downstream purification and analytics functions
- Liaising with partners and communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Supporting and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a builder who is passionate about developing innovative approaches to the discovery and development of biotherapeutics
- You are strongly self-motivated and can identify project needs and implement solutions
- You take pride in investing time to mentor team members to enhance their skills and drive career development and high performance
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, biochemistry or related discipline with 8+ years of relevant biotech industry experience
- Candidates with MSc/BSc degrees and 8+ years of relevant biotech industry experience will also be considered
- Extensive experience in cell culture and upstream antibody processing using transient and/or stable mammalian cell culture systems
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of the scientific and technological principles behind cell culture and protein expression systems, with an emphasis on antibodies or related biotherapeutics
- Experience in performing antibody manufacturability assessment to support lead candidate selection within antibody Discovery or early CMC environment
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- A strong attention to detail with excellent documentation and organizational skills
Offers & benefits:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23044 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Something looks off?