Occupational Health and Safety Specialist
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing biotech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are looking for a highly-motivated Occupational Health and Safety Specialist who will foster a proactive and integrated Health & Safety culture that promotes a positive, collaborative approach throughout all operations.
How you might spend your days:
- Developing and implementing new health & safety (H&S) programs and improving existing programs such as biosafety, chemical safety, environmental, health and safety, and emergency preparedness
- Promoting and monitoring biosafety standards and practices in accordance with the Human Pathogens and Toxins Regulations and the Canadian Biosafety Standard
- Coordinating registration and renewals of lab permits and other safety/biosafety records; liaising with the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and other regulatory bodies
- Performing risk assessments and implementing mitigation strategies
- Contributing to the H&S training process including working collaboratively with trainers to develop new and revised training
- Evaluating facility compliance with applicable federal, provincial and local safety regulations and standards
- Coordinating laboratory safety inspections and compliance reviews; implementing recommendations from inspection findings
- Working with the Safety Committee and relevant team members to develop procedures for safe use, storage, transport and disposal of hazardous materials
- Managing the response and investigation of accidents or incidents and working to implement preventative and corrective actions
- Liaising with the Facilities Operations team and supporting building renovations and construction of new laboratories
- Communicating initiatives related to research safety
- Providing 24 hour emergency response support
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a diploma or degree in occupational health and safety, occupational hygiene, biosafety, or other related field.
- You have 5 years of experience working in a lab environment
- You are familiar with health and safety best practices and regulations, such as Worksafe BC, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), the Human Pathogens and Toxins Act (HPTA), the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), and Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) legislation
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and have the interpersonal and communication skills needed to facilitate compliance and safety while meeting company research goals
- You have impeccable attention to detail, and outstanding documentation and organizational skills
- You have demonstrated your ability to think critically, troubleshoot, take initiative and follow through on projects
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23032 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.
Something looks off?