Associate Director, Biotherapeutic Analytics
AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing technology company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that can be developed into therapeutics. Working at the interface of biology, chemistry, computation, and engineering, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of drug discovery with a platform that integrates modern technologies from biotechnology, engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Associate Director who is looking for an opportunity in a fast paced protein science organization that is focused on identifying lead therapeutic antibody molecules for clinical development. We are seeking individuals who bring exceptional skills in protein analytics, leadership in biotherapeutic drug discovery along with innovative ideas for the building of teams and processes, to rapidly sort through thousands of potential candidate molecules to identify the most developable leads. Ideal candidates will be driven by the opportunity to collaborate with teams from across the organization including early discovery, translational sciences, pre-clinical development, and CMC, to build a fully integrated next generation antibody drug discovery platform that can rapidly turn biological hypothesis into a therapeutic lead molecule that is ready for clinical testing.
We’re offering a generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our facilities are nestled in the heart of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, and we will enthusiastically support you and your family to relocate to this amazing area!
How you might spend your days:
- Establishing the overall strategy for analytical characterization and developability assessment of antibodies and related protein therapeutics
- Building and leading a high functioning antibody characterization team to support AbCellera’s rapidly expanding pipeline of therapeutic antibody programs
- Providing leadership to develop robust analytical assays for antibody assessment using mass spectrometry, analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, light scattering, or related techniques
- Developing and automating early formulation and stability assessment platforms to assess developability risk and drive lead selection
- Working closely with Discovery Biology, Protein Engineering, and CMC teams to develop an innovative and integrated approach to accelerate the progression of lead candidate molecules from discovery into early development
- Working with Data Science and Machine Learning scientists to leverage experimental data for early prediction and mitigation of developability risks
- Coaching, mentoring, and developing talent within a rapidly growing and dynamic team
- Providing leadership to antibody drug discovery programs, as well as developing more junior team members to become the next generation of project leaders
- Liasing with external partners, developing and executing on work plans
- Establishing and strengthening the interface between teams, including streamlining communication, operations, and data systems
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a builder who is passionate about developing innovative approaches to the discovery and development of biotherapeutics
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in protein characterization to revolutionize the speed and quality of antibody drug discovery
- You take pride in mentoring team members to enhance their technical and project leadership skills, drive career development and maximize performance
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
Your background should include:
- A PhD in Biotechnology, Biophysics, Protein Engineering, Structural Biology or related field with an additional 10+ years of experience, with the majority in the biopharma or biotechnology industries
- Candidates with BSc/MSc degrees and 15+ years of relevant biotech industry experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise in detailed analytical characterization of antibodies or other biotherapeutics using mass spectrometry, analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, light scattering, or related techniques
- In depth understanding of antibody sequence and structure as well as common modifications, degradation mechanisms, and CQAs
- Experience with antibody formulation, stability and developability assessment including both high throughput screening and detailed interrogation of physical and chemical stability risks
- A track record of successful people and team leadership, with a focus on developing talent
- Demonstrated drug discovery program leadership with effective decision-making, and troubleshooting skills
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams
- Experience working within a CMC organization, or familiarity with regulatory issues related to biologics quality would be highly advantageous
- Familiarity with the use of biosensor platforms for assessment of antibody kinetics, affinity and mechanism of action would be an advantage
- Experience with scaling workflows and processes using automated liquid handlers, and laboratory information management systems (LIMS) is desired
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 20239-2 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.
Something looks off?