Lead Manufacturing BioProcess Technician
AbCellera is breaking the barriers of conventional antibody discovery to bring better medicines to patients, sooner. Our engine integrates expert teams, technology, and facilities with the data science and automation needed to propel antibody-based medicines from target to clinic with precision and speed.
We are looking for a Lead Manufacturing BioProcess Technician to be a key member of the clinical manufacturing team responsible for design, construction, qualification, and operation of a new GMP manufacturing facility for the production of antibody therapeutics. In this role, based in beautiful Vancouver, Canada, you will be responsible for helping to build critical processes, training and an exceptional team. You will be a key manufacturing leader at AbCellera responsible for delivering on a critical strategic program that will have a long-lasting legacy on the organization and Canada.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You are strongly self-motivated and are able to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You are passionate about building dynamic new teams and capabilities that accomplish important goals
- You are passionate about building and implementing a "Right First Time" culture to meet cGMP requirements for clinical material
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in manufacturing operations and are excited to create a lasting legacy our industry
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
How you might spend your days
- Working cross functionally with multiple teams including MSAT, Process Development, QA/QC, and Engineering to build all required elements of an advanced bioprocessing facility to deliver the next generation of therapeutic antibodies.This will include:
- Leading and mentoring team members for Manufacturing Operations
- Designing and operating manufacturing systems and processes that are technically sound, promote effective and efficient operations, and comply with cGMP requirements
- Ensuring execution of production plan, compliance initiatives, and project/campaign scheduling across multiple shifts
- Ensuring the schedules of the people, facility, equipment, materials, and documents are established and maintained to support the capacity/throughput of the manufacturing process
- Leading cross functional teams to drive complex investigation closeouts, determine root cause and implement appropriate Corrective and Preventive Action
- Supporting manufacturing processes such as, but not limited to, cell line initiation (vial thaw), cell line scale-up, bioreactor operations, harvest clarification, TFF, column packing, chromatography, bulk drug substance fill, media and buffer preparation, weigh and dispense operations & drug product filling
- Leading production activities compliant with cGMPs and meeting site objectives
- Helping lead equipment FAT, SAT, and facility start-up as needed
- Helping author and revise cGMP documentation (batch records, protocols, SOPs) and Perform periodic review of cGMP documentation to ensure accuracy
- Supporting or leading investigations related to the manufacturing process. Author deviations, non-conformances, and CAPAs as required; as well as identify, lead, and implement continuous improvement projects
- Performing equipment & room preparation (including cleaning & autoclaving)
- Driving process improvements and efficiency initiatives applying Lean Methodology such as Standard Work, Kaizen, Kanban, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, Root Cause Analysis, etc.
- Contributing and assisting with corporate, FDA, Health Canada and other regulatory bodies during facility audits
Requires skills and experience
- AS/BS/BA in Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, or Engineering or combination of college coursework and related work experience or Biotech certificate from approved program
- 5 years of GMP manufacturing experience
- Knowledge of upstream and/or downstream processing techniques is a distinct advantage
- Proven logic and decision-making abilities, critical thinking skills
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and on one’s own initiative
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity of computer-based systems
- Ability to read and understand engineering documents
- Experience in creation and revision of SOPs and Manufacturing Batch Records is desirable
- Experience ensuring timely execution and review of procedures, batch documentation, logbooks, deviations, CAPAs, change controls, and completion of ERP orders
What we offer
AbCellera’s hiring range for this role is $72,600 - $90,700 annually, commensurate with your education and job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. We base our salary ranges on localized market data ensuring competitive compensation. In addition to base salary, we offer equity, annual bonus dependent on team and company performance, and a 6% (non-match) RRSP contribution.
We have a number of ways to support AbCellerites in maximizing their work-life synergy. You will have a $1,500 annual Active Lifestyle Allowance, annual vacation, and company-wide office closures (a real value to all!), opportunity for flexible work arrangements, professional development opportunities, and comprehensive health benefits. Scientific and technical mentorship is a priority. And you’ll find abundant teams and social groups to build community and connections across AbCellera.
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re an ambitious company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success.