Lead Technician, Instrumentation & Metrology
AbCellera is breaking the barriers of conventional antibody discovery to bring better medicines to patients, sooner. Our engine integrates expert teams, technology, and facilities with the data science and automation needed to propel antibody-based medicines from target to clinic with precision and speed. AbCellera provides innovative biotech and leading pharmaceutical companies with a competitive advantage that empowers them to move quickly, reduce cost, and tackle the toughest problems in drug development.
The Instrumentation and Metrology Lead will be responsible for implementing and sustaining a GMP Calibration program for a brand new manufacturing facility in Vancouver, British Columbia. As a leader within our GMP Tech Ops organization, you will have the exciting opportunity to build a world class maintenance and calibration program for AbCellera. You will also participate in the implementation of a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) as well as support the start up, commissioning and operation of the AbCellera GMP manufacturing facility.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You are strongly self-motivated and are able to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You are passionate about building dynamic new teams and capabilities that accomplish important goals
- You have a bias towards innovation over industry standards
- You are enthusiastic about applying your expertise in instrumentation and metrology
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
How you might spend your days
- Leading and participating in the implementation of a GMP CMMS for a brand new GMP manufacturing facility
- Developing procedures and processes for the calibration and metrology program at AbCellera
- Working with a project team and third party vendors to develop data to define the maintenance and calibration program in our CMMS
- Calibration and troubleshooting of manufacturing and utility equipment during plant start-up, commissioning and operations
- Responding to real-time requests for instrumentation support from manufacturing, quality and process development teams to support 24/7 operation
- Training and mentoring the maintenance and calibration team areas of instrumentation and calibration
- Participating in engineering change management processes
- Continuously driving improvements to the established processes, increasing speed and efficiency while meeting regulatory requirements
Required qualifications and experience
- A total of 8+ years of industry experience with a BS in Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or similar. Strong candidates with 2 year degrees may be considered with sufficient instrumentation, calibration and leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience in industrial instrumentation and calibration
- Experience in GMP manufacturing environment (Pharmaceutical or Medical device)
- Experience working within a facility CMMS program, Blue Mountain experience is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation of data to stakeholders
What we offer
AbCellera’s hiring range for this role is $92,000 - $115,000 CAD annually, commensurate with your education and job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. We base our salary ranges on localized market data ensuring competitive compensation. In addition to base salary, we offer equity, annual bonus dependent on team and company performance, and 6% (non-match) RRSP contribution.
At AbCellera, we have a number of initiatives to support AbCellerites in maximizing their work-life synergy. You will have a $1,500 annual active lifestyle allowance, annual vacation and company-wide office closures (a real value to all!), opportunity for flexible work arrangements, professional development opportunities, and comprehensive health benefits. Scientific and technical mentorship is a priority. Abundant team and social groups to build community and connections within AbCellera are a given.
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.