Principal Scientist - In Vivo Pharmacology
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Our Translational Biology group is seeking an experienced and exceptional individual for the role of Principal Scientist - In Vivo Pharmacology based out of our Vancouver office. You will help to build out our pharm-tox capabilities and increase confidence in our animal modeling so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic.
We need someone who has a passion for understanding how models can predict therapeutic responses to human disease. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated and self-directed individual, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This role offers the exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s top biotech companies, while growing with a team that believes in collaboration, innovation, and mutual support.
How you might spend your days:
- Working collaboratively with in vitro biology, protein engineering and PK scientists to generate in vivo proof-of-concept for lead validation, executing efficient PK/PD assessments and advancing programs to clinical development
- Designing and executing/monitoring in vivo pharmacology and pharmacodynamic studies in immuno-oncology, inflammatory and neuroscience based disease indications
- Using knowledge of state-of-the-art tools to enhance in vivo and ex vivo evaluation of antibody therapeutic mechanism of action
- Developing and overseeing supporting assays to assess target modulation and downstream effects at cellular, protein and gene level
- Preparing nonclinical pharmacology strategy and documentation that support clinical trials and external communications (manuscripts, conferences, etc.)
- Collaborating with teams across the company to solve problems, analyze, interpret and communicate data
- Evaluating new technology and testing new models to better predict human illness
- Reporting findings to our teams and partners to support data-driven decision making
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are genuinely curious, with an interest in discussing innovative ideas in a highly collaborative and fast paced environment
- You are good at communicating scientific and/or technical concepts with an emphasis on application
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with constructing and implementing solutions
- You enjoy the teamwork that comes with working on complicated biological questions and building data sets that help to predict the success of therapies
Required Qualifications and Education:
- PhD in a relevant field with working knowledge of the drug development process and 10+ years practical experience in a biopharmaceutical industry environment
- Experience with preclinical R&D of drug candidates across multiple disease areas
- Experience identifying and managing international contract research providers to deliver quality models and data.
- Demonstrated proficiency in authoring/reviewing study protocols and reports to ensure appropriate datasets are accurately generated and interpreted
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Excellent documentation, organizational and communication skills
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional cross-site team
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with nonclinical development of large molecules/biologics from discovery through support of clinical trial application
- Understanding of regulatory processes as well as GLP/ICH and other guidance documents
- Experience with new and emerging in silico / in vitro technologies to improve human prediction for antibody drug development
Offers & benefits:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23153 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.