Senior Scientist — Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuit Designer
As an experienced mixed-signal integrated circuit designer, you will play a pivotal role in 1QBit’s growing R&D efforts to realize cutting-edge electronics for ultra-low power neural network inference accelerators and key-enabling technologies for quantum computers. You will join a team of talented scientists and software developers who tackle uniquely challenging problems in their quest to develop new computational paradigms. The developed mixed-signal circuits will particularly rely on in-memory computing architectures for fast and energy-efficient vector-matrix multiplication.
What You'll Do
- Circuit design and layout: You will lead the R&D activities related to the circuit design, layout and verification (LVS, DRC) of novel high-performance analog and mixed-signals circuitry based on emerging technologies for room temperature and cryogenic electronics. You will work closely with our multidisciplinary team of experts in machine learning and quantum computing to engage in the co-design of specific algorithms and their hardware implementation.
- Advanced circuit simulations: You will be responsible of the development of a complex circuit simulation framework dedicated to the design and benchmark of cryogenic-compatible mixed-signal integrated circuits. Activities such as transistor modeling at cryogenic temperatures and accurate noise modeling will be involved.
- Fabrication and testing: You will be in charge of communicating with semiconductor foundries to launch and manage the fabrication of experimental mixed-signal integrated circuits. You will be an active contribution in the electrical characterization campaigns and results analysis in collaboration with other experts at 1QBit.
- Collaboration and Mentorship: You will collaborate with cross-functional teams on multiple ambitious projects. Additionally, you will provide mentorship and guidance to junior team members and interns, fostering a culture of knowledge sharing and skill development.
What You'll Bring
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, with a focus on mixed-signal integrated circuit development and testing
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the industry, with proven track records (publications, patents, recommendations) of successful designs of complex mixed-signal circuits, preferably in the domain of artificial intelligence or high-performance computing
- Proficiency in circuit design tools (Cadence, LTSpice), transistor models (BSIM, EKV) and programming (SPICE, Verilog-A, Python, Git) for circuit design/layout, large-scale simulations and performance analysis
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to address unique challenges posed by cutting-edge technology
- Strong teamwork skills: outstanding oral communication and writing skills in English, ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams, critical thinking and open-mindedness
- The ability to convey rigorous technical concepts and considerations to non-experts
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects and the resulting implications and opportunities that they will bring
Nice to Have
- Experience with PDK-based circuit design, ASIC workflows and custom models implementations
- Experience with cryogenic circuit design and familiarity with the challenges posed by low-temperature environments
- Experience with emerging memory technologies such as resistive memories and their use for in-memory computing
- Knowledge of basic applied physics, semi-conductor physics, materials science or micro-electronics
- Knowledge of neural networks fundamentals
- Previous mentoring, grant proposal writing, or leadership experience is a plus
1QBit is a global leader in advanced computing, with three innovation hubs located in Vancouver, Waterloo, and Sherbrooke. Along with its partners, 1QBit takes on computationally intensive problems across a variety of fields, including advanced materials, the life sciences, energy, and finance. Trusted by Fortune 500 companies and top research institutions, 1QBit develops novel solutions by building on its broad expertise in hardware innovation, quantum computing, AI, and commercial application development. 1QBit offers unique deep-tech career opportunities through advanced internships, full-time positions, and a steadfast investment in our team’s expertise. Working at 1QBit means applying your thinking and skills to tackle exciting and relevant challenges.