Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Staff Accountant is a hands-on role that will have a significant impact on the development of 1QBit’s finance function. At the core, this role will be responsible for administering the accounts payable, payroll, and periodic financial close processes to ensure the accuracy of 1QBit’s general ledger and compliance with accounting, tax, and payroll regulations. The successful candidate will be someone with one to two years’ full cycle accounting experience who is seeking a more entrepreneurial role with a broad scope of duties and learning opportunities. We are therefore seeking a positive, organized, and highly motivated individual who can work independently to solve problems, but also excels working in a team environment.
Who this role is for:
- Recent university graduates or early-career individuals interested in gaining broad hands-on business experience with direct mentorship from company leaders.
What You’ll Do
- Administer accounts payable process including receipt of invoices, coordination of approvals, preparation of invoice entries, vendor set-up and payment processing.
- Administer credit card process including review of monthly statements, compilation of supporting documents, preparation of data uploads and payment processing.
- Process bi-weekly payroll for salaried staff and contract workers using Rise payroll system.
- Complete WCB, EHT, and payroll remittance calculations and reporting as necessary.
- Assist with month-end close procedures, including preparing and posting monthly journal entries and preparing balance sheet reconciliations.
- Assist with year-end audits by preparing and compiling certain working papers and addressing auditor questions, as necessary.
- Perform ad hoc tasks, as required by management.
What You’ll Bring
- Accounting certificate, diploma, or bachelor’s degree
- One to two years of experience in full cycle accounting
- Strong understanding of accounting principles
- Experience with Sage Intacct, Rise, and/or Nexonia considered an asset
- An openness to using new systems and streamlining processes through automation
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills
- Must be able to work independently with limited need for direction or supervision
- Strong proficiency with Excel
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Business and financial acumen
- Preference will be given to fully bilingual candidates who are residents of Quebec
1QBit is a global leader in quantum computing and artificial intelligence, with three innovation hubs located in Vancouver, Waterloo, and Sherbrooke. The company takes a broad approach to advanced computing by melding expertise in classical AI, optimization, cloud computing and quantum technology. Trusted by Fortune 500 companies and top research institutions, 1QBit develops novel solutions by building on its broad expertise and its extensive network of academic and industrial partners. 1QBit offers unique deep-tech career opportunities through advanced internships, full-time positions, and a steadfast investment in our team’s expertise. Working at 1QBit means applying your thinking and skills to tackle exciting and relevant challenges.