Staff Developer, Infrastructure Services
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
The Infrastructure Services group focuses on building the core services, libraries, frameworks, and platforms on which our products rely. This group is responsible for building a scalable, reliable, and performant backend platform, and provides APIs, libraries and tools that make it easy for products to interface with the infrastructure the organization builds. In this role, you will be responsible for assisting on technical strategy and delivery. Your customers would be the hundreds of engineers, operations and security folk within the company.
For this role, you can be located within the US or Canada, and will be expected to be fully remote, ideally in the Eastern time zone.
What we're looking for:
- You have 5+ years of experience building resilient and reliable software within Service-oriented architectures, such that you'll be able to lead technical discussions and decision making.
- You’ve built production-ready systems on Kubernetes and other Cloud Native technologies.
- You have experience working on products with millions of users distributed globally.
- You’re comfortable with leading from technical design through execution.
- You’re able to influence and drive conversations with multiple stakeholders, ensuring alignment and understanding across many levels of the company.
- You learn continuously, share knowledge, and mentor engineers across the org: provide code review and feedback to juniors and peers on technical designs, merge requests, etc.
- You have an excellent set of written and oral communication skills, are able to drive discussions with both technical and non-technical audiences, and an ability to describe projects that you or the team is working on with confidence and depth of understanding.
What you can expect:
- Help set the technical direction for the foundational software & services that helps deliver on our company's mission.
- Lead or assist on making key technical decisions supporting 1Password’s platform architecture.
- Participate in breaking a monolithic application into a service oriented architecture, leveraging tools such as an API Gateway and Kubernetes.
- Write well-tested, well-instrumented, well-documented code.
- Work with the Engineering team as well as senior leaders in Tech to drive alignment and deliver the best possible solutions.
- Operate autonomously; effectively prioritize projects and information, and make good judgment calls; scope and lead complex initiatives collaborating with multiple teams.
Bonus points for:
- 7+ years of experience across large scale Software-as-a-Service products serving millions of users.
- You’ve led the process of breaking up a monolith into a Service-oriented architecture.
- You have used or deployed an API Gateway.
- You have working knowledge of Domain Driven Design.
- You have experience leveraging Platform-as-a-Service providers and know their offerings in and out.
USA-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $180,000 USD and $244,000 USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $168,000 CAD and $228,000 CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact .