Director, Security Operations
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
Here at 1Password we are deeply committed to customer privacy and security. The Security Team is passionate about our role in that mission and the ideal candidate for these roles will share our excitement.
We’re looking for a highly experienced information security leader to help rapidly build and scale our security operations program. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting our detection and response and corporate security teams, as well as expanding our vulnerability management function.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we're looking for:
- Demonstrated experience building and scaling security teams with a deep technical focus
- Minimum of 12 years of combined experience in information security and related technical disciplines such as software development
- Over 5 years of experience managing engineers, including at least 3 years of managing managers
- Extensive experience rapidly scaling security teams and familiarity with a wide variety of tools and approaches relevant to vulnerability management, detection, corporate security, or related disciplines
- Exceptional collaboration, communication, negotiation, and relationship-building skills, and ability to influence peers
- Willingness to take full ownership and skillfully manage competing priorities, anticipate issues, and proactively drive resolution
- Strong leadership focus on mentorship, teamwork, psychological safety, and building trust
- Ability to translate technical, legal, and compliance requirements into engineering and operational execution
- Ability to partner creatively with the business to develop solutions that balance security risk, legal and contractual commitments, technical capabilities/limitations and customer and product requirements
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate risk across a wide range of audiences, from individual contributor to C-suite, to ensure they have the information they need to make informed decisions
What you can expect:
- Partner with our VP of Security to provide leadership, strategy, and long-term vision to build out a security operations program to support 1Password’s security excellence and business goals
- Grow our existing teams and found new functions to support our security initiatives in the areas of either detection, vuln management, and corporate security
- Build and scale a highly collaborative team with high psychological safety and a strong culture of feedback and continuous improvement
- Own our security operations road map and multi-year vision and advise the VP, engineering on strategy in your area of responsibility
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams across the company to ensure that 1Password is able to scalably and efficiently meet both its compliance and security excellence goals
- Build strong relationships with partner and stakeholder teams in order to advise on, negotiate, and collaboratively develop solutions to security challenges
- Develop and implement scalable programs and processes to support 1Password’s strong culture of security excellence
USA-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $230,000USD and $311,000USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $213,000CAD and $288,000CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact .