Senior Rust Developer
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We are looking for Sr Developers, including those with a strong passion in working with Rust, to join 1Password. This is a great opportunity to work with leading edge technologies and have a wide impact across our product. You will collaborate with engineers building client apps & cross-functional partners such as product & design - to bring ideas to life and help further 1Password’s vision.
We are hiring Sr Developers across several teams including Item Management and Authentication teams:
The Item Management team focuses on helping people get more out of 1Password by helping them to get more in to 1Password through enabling them to efficiently create, organize and find the information most important to them and securely grant access to information to others within their family or team or business, as well as people who may not yet be using 1Password.
The Authentication team focuses on enabling people to safely and easily unlock 1Password. We want to provide safe, simple means for people to manage their authentication experiences for themselves, their families, and their businesses.
This is a Remote opportunity within Canada and the US.
What we're looking for:
- You have strong experience building production-quality software across multiple disciplines.
- You have strong full-stack experience. You enjoy Rust, or similar languages, and you are familiar with writing idiomatic Rust code.
- You are passionate about other languages and tech stacks, and you can demonstrate a strong competency and have significant experience working within a full-stack environment.
- You learn continuously, share knowledge, and mentor developers across your team through pair programming, giving feedback to junior developers and peers on technical designs, merge requests, and other areas.
- You can adjust well to shifting priorities when necessary.
- You can take large, ambiguous work, and collaborate with stakeholders to scope work down into smaller, clearer, actionable parts.
- You can communicate with stakeholders and peers to understand the purpose of features the team is working on, and you can help communicate the purpose to other team members.
- You have proven experience advocating for and effectively reducing technical debt.
- You can structure code in a manner which anticipates the type of scale and maintenance required considering the scope of work.
- You can lead small squads of up to three other developers, on occasion, and be accountable for your squad’s progress through a cycle.
- You can communicate effectively in a remote-first environment.
What you can expect:
- Define and execute development plans for specific features or initiatives.
- Actively advocate for and drive to completion engineering efforts that help streamline the experience for our product and for other engineers.
- Write code and implement features, bug fixes, with a focus on delighting our customers and maintainability.
- Share your skills and experience to help junior developers grow and the team expand its knowledge.
- Help support the work of your peers through pair programming, code reviews, and providing mentoring.
- Remain curious and seek opportunities to expand and deepen your technical knowledge and leadership skills.
- Collaborate with peers to write and review technical designs and documentation.
- Assist your team in directing the development of multiple projects on your team and aligning your team’s overall efforts with 1Password’s business goals.
- Influence technical direction across multiple teams, making architectural decisions that ensure products are scalable, secure, and uniformly measure up to the high standards we keep for our work.
- Drive initiatives not just amongst your own team, but amongst the development organization as a whole to make meaningful impacts towards supporting 1Password customers across several platforms.
- Take responsibility for the overall quality of your team’s projects by overseeing testing infrastructure, strategies, and technologies to ensure high quality work and prevent regressions.
Bonus points for:
- You have a proven track record for building applications in multiple stacks, especially including Kotlin or Swift (we’re also looking for mobile app developers), but also including TypeScript, React, and Go.
USA-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $150,000USD and $202,000USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password's benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
Canada-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $140,000CAD and $190,000CAD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s generous benefits program (health, dental, RRSP and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off, an equity grant and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs.
At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact .